by Nicholas Wall
1. BLAKE – Inscribed to the memory of the Honr. Ms Frances Blake by John the sixth Lord Viscount Netterville who was her affectionate brother.
2. BOURKE – In loving memory of Anthony Bourke, Newgrange, who died 17th February 1963 and his dear wife Bridget who died 29th June 1963. Their son Patrick died 21st July 1983 aged 59.
3. BOWDEN – see McCORMICK.
4. BOYLAN – Erected by Richard Boylan of Dowth in memory of his son James Andrew who died 3rd March 1890 aged 26 years. Also his daughter Catherine who died young. And his daughter Cecelia who died 12th March 1891 aged 16 years.The above Richard 28th November1910 aged 90. His wife Mary died 8th August 1907 aged 87. Their son Richard died 2nd October 1947. Their daughters Mary Anne, died 13th December 1946, Alice McQuillan died 23rd March 194, Margaret died 6th October 1949, Elizabeth died 30th December 1956. Re-erected by the Duggan family 1983.
5. BOYLAN – Erected by Alice Boylan of Dowth in memory of her beloved mother Bridget Donegan who died 2nd June 1836 aged 80 years. Also her brother Peter Donegan who died 12th July 1818 aged 25 years. And also her beloved father Richard Donegan who died 25th March 1812 aged 60 years. Here also lye her sister Mary Donegan who died in the year 1800 aged 18 years.
6. BOYLE O’REILLY – Seagan Baoighil O’Raghallaigh – Gaiscidheach, file, cainteoir. Fior-Ghaedealach gradhagh cludhamhail. D’Fulaing gear- chradh on bPreathan Mor ar son Eireann. Bhi siul aige I gcomhraishe o chroidhe do bheith curthain san mball-so go direach ameasc na gcnoc agus na machairi in ar toghadh e agus da thug se searc a chleithe. A De tabhair suaimhneas siorruidhe da anam om mheaduig se clu a thire. Amen. John Boyle O’Reilly born at Dowth 28th June 1844. Died at Hull near Boston Mass. U.S.A. 10TH August 1890.
7. BRIEN – see DREW.
8. BRYNE – Erected by Patrick Bryne in memory of his father Edward, he died in 1801 aged 80 years. His mother died in 1795 aged 72 years. Also his wife Jane Bryne died 12th May 1805 aged 52 years. Four of his children died young. Also the above Patrick Bryne who died 2nd October 1813 aged 61 years.
9. CAROLAN – In loving memory of Anne Carolan, Windmill Road Drogheda died 2nd December 1938 . Her husband Paddy died 19th March 1977. Their grand daughter Monica died 6th January 1948 aged 3 Months.
10. CARTIN – Erected by Valintine Cartin of Drogheda in memory of his father Valintine Cartin aged 72 years. Also of his mother Elizabeth Cartin aged 52 years and three of his children who died young. Also of his daughter Eliza Cartin aged 10 years. And also here lieth the body of the above named Valintine who departed this life 1st March 1820 aged 46 years.
11. CLANCY – In loving memory of Peter Clancy died 22nd September 1928. His wife Jane died 15th November 1945. Also Mary Cole, Dowth died 10th June 1978. Her husband William died 28th June 1984. And their daughter Margaret Morby ( nee Cole ) died 1st Dec. 1996. We will always love and remember you .Patsy Nano and Family.
12. COLE – see CLANCY.
13. CONNOR – This monument was erected by Mary Connor of Slane in memory of her beloved husband Thomas Connor who departed this life 15th March 1828 aged 40 years.
14. COURTNEY – see HAND.
15. DEVIN – Erected AD 1862 by Thomas Devin of Dowth in memory of his beloved father George Devin who died 17th August 1825 aged 67 years. Also of his mother Judith Devin who died 20th May 1855 aged 84 years. And also of his sister Catherine who died in 1836 aged 22 years. And his daughter Mary Devin who died young. His wife Anne who died March 7th 1868. And the above Thomas who died January 6th 1878. Also their son John. George Devin died 22nd June 1927. His wife Angela died 18th September 1937. Their son Thomas died 21st March 1965. Mary Josephine Devin died 1st February 1979 aged 89. James Devin died 12th February 1984 aged 94. May they rest in peace Amen.
16. DIXON – In loving memory of Ellen Dixon, Newgrange who died 25th November 1948 aged 62 years. Her husband Patrick who died 24th July 1962.
17. DONEGAN – see BOYLAN.
18. DONOGHUE – In loving memory of Rose Donoghue died 3rd February 1941. David Heston died 19th May 1942. Joseph B. Heston died 21st October 1973. Patrick Heston died 17th September 1980. Kate Heston died 27th May 1997. Bernard Heston died 16th December 1996.
19. DREW – Erected by Mary Drew, Dowth in memory of her mother Alice Brien who died 1854. Her father Hugh Brien who died 1864. And her brother John Brien who died 1893.
20. DRUMM – In loving memory of Elizabeth Drumm, Balfaddock Slane who died 24th July 1956. Her husband Patrick died 25th January 1973.
21. DUGGAN – see BOYLAN.
22. DUNN – Here lyeth the body of Lucy Dunn, wife of William Dunn who….. ( stone broken ).
23. ELCOCK – Erected by Thomas Elcock Dowth in affectionate remembrance of his beloved brother James who departed this life 15th December 1872 aged 65 years. Also in memory of his father Luke Elcock who died in the year 1826. Also Mary his mother who died in February 1863. And of his brother Patrick who died in Drogheda October 20th 1863 aged 43 years.
24. ELCOCK – Erected by Thomas Elcock, Dowth in remembrance of James and Mary Elcock of the Mill of Dowth. Also their children Bridget, Margaret, Luke, Mary and Anne.
25. FARRELL – In loving memory of Alfred Farrell, Dowth who died 11th August 1943. His wife Anne died 27th December 1953. And their son Charles died 25th May 1944. Their daughter Elizabeth Emily died 23rd January 1992.
26. FARRELL – Erected by Edward Farrell of Douth in memory of his daughter Mary Farrell who departed this life the 9th February 1818. Also of his son John Farrell who died 3rd November 1816 and also of his son Thomas Farrell who departed this life 7th January 1810.
27. GRIMES – In loving memory of Michael Grimes, Newgrange died 13th March 1952 aged 53 years. And his wife Anne died 16th August 1983 aged 82 years.
28. HAND – In loving memory of John Hand, Dowth who died 18th June 1946. His son Patrick J died 10th October 1940. Also his mother-in-law Catherine Hanratty died 19th February 1940. Also his loving wife Mary Anne died 5th June 1992.
29. HAND – In loving memory of John Hand, Dowth who died 17th January 1965 aged 70. His wife Margaret died 4th January 1981 aged 90.His sister Elizabeth Courtney died 5th August 1977 aged 77. Their daughter Margaret ( Peggy ) Monaghan died 25th August 1997 aged 67. Always remembered by his loving wife and daughter.
30. HANLON – Underneath are deposited the remains of the late very Rev. Docr. Hanlon, Pastor of Slane, who finished the course of his earthly career after a tedious indisposition which he bore with only Christian resignation on the 11th day of July 1823 in the 67th year of his age.In this exemplary clergyman were united every virtue that could render him agreeable to God and pleasing to man. He combined in his person the piety of the saint and the learning of the scholar. He lived esteemed and died regretted.
31. HANRATTY – In loving memory of Edward Hanratty, Grangegeeth, Slane who died 10th March 1941 aged 46. His son Joseph died 1935 aged 6. His parents and sister Katie. Also his son Thomas, 8 Mill Row Drogheda died 16th November 1976 aged 50. His wife Catherine died 6th November 1983 aged 81. Erected by his dear wife and family.
32. HANRATTY – see HAND.
33. HESTON – see DONOGHUE.
34. HICKEY – Erected by Robert and Anne Hickey, Dowth in loving memory of their grandparents and parents. Also their daughter Rose. The above named Robert died 4th August 1973. And his wife Anne died 2nd March 1964.
35. HOEY – see WALSH.
36. KING – Erected by Mr.John King of Mell P.L.G. to the memory of his beloved wife Mrs. Rose King who departed this life the 24th day of November 1860. Her many amiable qualities endeared her to all who had the pleasure of her acquaintaince through life and her death was deeply deplored by her many friends but especially by the poor to whom she was a liberal benefactress. May she rest in peace Amen.
37. LONG – This stone is erected by John Long of Drogheda to the memory of his beloved wife Margaret O’Hanlon whose remains lie here with those of her departed kindred. Benevolent, charitable and compassionate during the course of her mortal life she died truly regretted by her friends the 14th July 1799 aged 42 years.
38. MARKEY – This burial place belonges to Thomas Markey where lies his wife Allice Markey who died December 17th 1764 aged 61 years.
39. MARTIN – This stone and burial place belongeth to Luke Martin of Dowth and his posterity. Wherein lieth his father John Martin aged 100 and also his mother. Anno Domini 1769.
40. MERRYMAN – Here lieth the body of Thomas Merryman who died December 7th 1760 aged 40 years. Also the body of Mary Merryman who died May 1st 1775 aged 27 years.
41. MOONEY – In loving memory of Peter Mooney, Dowth died 20th November 1991 aged 78 years.
42. MOONEY – In loving memory of Patrick Mooney, Dowth died 2nd June 1943 aged 75. And his wife Bridget died 14th June 1946 aged 64. Their son Michael died 5th March 1968 aged 58. And Patrick (Paddy ) died 24th May 1996 aged 84.
43. MORBY – see CLANCY.
44. MULLEN – In loving memory of Peter Mullen, Dowth who died 21st September 1966 aged 51 years.
45. MUNNELLY – In loving memory of Michael Munnelly, Newgrange died 13th February 1951. His wife Bridget died 25th January 1960. Their son Anthony died 31st July 1954.
46. McCORMICK – Erected by James McCormick of Mell in memory of his beloved wife Catherine who departed this life the 25th September 1855 aged 60 years. Also the remains of James, son of the above named, who departed this life 5th December 1847 aged 7 years. Also the remains of Widow Bowden mother of the above named Catherine McCormick who departed this life June 1831 aged 70 years.
47. McDONNELL – In loving memory of Laurance McDonnell, Dowth who died 1st February 1957 aged 49 years. Our lady of Lourdes pray for us.
48. McMANOMAN – In loving memory of Anthony McManoman Newgrange who died 11th February 1948. His wife Bridget died 5th July 1951.
49. McMANAMON – In loving memory of Anthony McManamon, Mellifont Collon who died 5th February 1988 aged 65 years. His wife Annie ( Nan ) Mellifont, late of Newgrange who died 15th November 1997 aged 74 years.
50. McQUILLAN – see BOYLAN.
51. NETTERVILLE – Pray for the repose of the soul of Robert William Netterville of Cruicerath in the County Meath Esquire, whose remains are here deposited. He departed this life at Brussels in Belgium on the 12th day of July in the year of our Lord 1834. This monument is erected by his son Arthur James Netterville of Cruicerath.
52. NETTERVILLE – see BLAKE.
53. NORRIS – This stone was erected by James Norris of Oldbridge. Underneath lieth the body of his father Peter Norris who departed this life February 2nd 1769 aged 69 years.
54. O’HANLON – see HANLON.
55. O’HANLON – see LONG.
56. O’HANLON – This burial place belongs to Michael O’Hanlon, Lugher, and his family. Here lieth the body of his son John O’Hanlon deceased August the 23rd 1766 aged 19 years
57. O’LEARY – In loving memory of Anne O’Leary, daughter of the late Joseph O’Leary , Barrister at law and Vice President of Queens College, Galway died 23rd July 1903 aged 63 years. Erected by a few of her old friends.
58. REILLY – In loving memory of John Reilly, Newgrange, who died 26th December 1970. His wife Sarah who died 17th December 1971. Their son Patrick who died 3rd December 1972.
59. REILLY – In loving memory of Margaret Reilly, Dowth who died 29th October 1956. Her husband died 12th April 1949. Their daughter Kathleen died 11th February 1937 aged 23.
60. ROGERS – Sacred to the memory of Michael Rogers of Marys Street, Drogheda who died 2nd May 1878 aged 64 years and his wife Judith who died March 6th 1894 aged 80 years.
61. SMITH – In loving memory of Sarah Smith, Dowth who died 23rd February 1970 aged 80 years. Her husband James died 28th February 1972 aged 94 years.
62. SMITH – In loving memory of Daniel Smith, Newgrange who died 9th April 1949. His wife Annie died 11th April 1958. Their daughters died, Ellen ( Dolly ) 18th August 1939, Evelyn (Eva ) 29th January 1978. Their sons Michael died 29th September 1943, Peter died 8th February 1985.
63. SMITH – In loving memory of Patrick Smith, Knowth died 4th December 1973 aged 86. Also his wife Catherine died 30th March 1977 aged 79. In loving memory of Oliver Walsh, Newgrange died 15th October 1994 aged 73 years.
64. SMITH – Peter Smith died 8th February 1985.
65. SMITH – Mrs. Lily Smith died 13th January 1938.
66. SMITH – In loving memory of Margaret ( Peggy ) Smith, Monknewtown who died 28th December 1962 aged 36 years. Annie Smith died 9th May 1965. Her husband John died 18th August 1963. Their son John Joseph ( Jackie ) died 12th December 1993 aged 80 years.
67. WALSH – see SMITH
68. WALSH – In loving memory of Thomas Walsh, Knowth who died 11th November 1964. His wife Annie died 21st January 1979. Her sisters Rose Hoey died 18th March 1978 and Catherine ( Katie ) died 2nd April 1982. Erected by his wife Annie.