Shale Deposits for brick making
1. Rathdrina: Tully’s Brick Works
Rathdrinagh Brick Works (Tully’s) per Ordinance Survey map 1836, revised 1909 (Dwyer family archive)
2. Grangegeeth, Slane
Fleming’s brick works, Grangegeeth, Slane operated between 1910 and early 1930’s.
Fleming’s Bricks were hand made between 1910 and early 1930’s
Christopher Dunne, Slane, provided a transport service for Fleming’s bricks. Flemings had a truck in earlier years.
Slane Brick Co Ltd succeeded Flemings between 1934 and 1970’s when the business was taken over by Peter Doggett and became Doggett Brick. The shale deposits in Grangegeeth ran out in time and new deposits were found at Mullaghdillon about 2km south.
Machine made brick of Slane Brick Co. Ltd. This brick was recovered by Thomas (Tommy) Byrne at the demolition of McDonagh’s house, Balrenny, Slane. This was one of a consignment used to frame a cooker in the kitchen and hence one end is rounded. Dominic McDonagh was featured outside his home in the RTE documentary on Slane referred to elsewhere on this website.
Probably a Spring Show stand at the RDS by the Slane Brick Co. Ltd. The gentlemen in the photograph may have been directors of the company.
3. Shale deposit at Balrenny
Thomas (Tommy) Byrne of Balrenny House, Slane believes that bricks were made from shale on his farm which were used in the construction of houses in Mell, Drogheda. Apart from a small quarry, no other evidence of brick making here exists.